About 2 weeks ago, my girl woke up with a bad tummy ache and had to miss her acting camp she enjoys so much.
With a very small appetite she had, I decided to make congee for her.
Congee or jook - creamy rice soup - is a nourishing and easily assimilated food. It's ideal for anyone with digestive difficulties or qi and blood dificiency.
Because congee is easily digested due to its warm temperature, the stomach qi actually increases as one eats it.
Congee is so easy to make. My favorite congee is Chicken Congee. By using a crock pot, you can have a warm, yummy and nutritious breakfast without doing any work in the busy mornings. You can also make sweet congee by adding fruits and herbs like cinnamon to basic congee (1 cup of white rice and 5-10 cups of water).
- Mama Miko's Chicken Congee -
- 9 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked white sushi rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Boneless chicken thigh (about 1 pound)
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger (about 1/4 ounce)
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Julienne-cut peeled fresh ginger (optional)
- Roasted sesame oil (optional)
- Soy sauce (optional)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 1 1/2 hours or until soup has a creamy consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Stir meat into soup (you can easily break meat up by pushing it with a utensil). Serve with green onions, julienne-cut ginger, sesame oil and soy sauce, if desired. Yumm!!!